1

17 February 2014

Posted on Monday, February 17, 2014

Time to sweep the dust from this space and start using it again, I think. What do you think of this design?  I'm not convinced that it will stay, but I wanted a change and this will do for now. 


The past few months have been busy busy busy, but I've missed this blog. Never one for New Years Resolutions, this year I set myself several Birthday Resolutions at the end of January, among which a new resolve to return here more frequently.  It's important to me, and if it's enjoyable for you than tant mieux. Among other birthday resolutions: enjoy more delicious things, homemade and otherwise, see more new places, read, be more grateful. So far, I'm trying my very hardest with each.

I signed up, in a weird moment of spontaneity last autumn, for my first organized race. The race is in two weeks' time and though training for it hasn't always been enjoyable, it feels nice to accomplish goals, to stick to promises, but mostly to move.  Finding balance in life is difficult, but I think I'm coming pretty close and it feels so good. Paris is a beautiful place for running, even on the greyest of days and during the toughest moments of a run, the city manages to encourage me. Yesterday, an old man in a charming hat and cane bowed when he saw me approaching on the pavement, towards the end of a particularly challenging hour.  He cheered me on and patted my back as I passed, my step quickening with his encouragement.  Little things like that make it difficult to not enjoy life, don't you think?

The weather has been behaving extraordinarily well this year.  Far from the normal bone-chilling temperatures, the skies have been blue and the temperatures have been mild. While everyone back home is freezing to death under the polar vortex, over here there are hints of spring on every breeze. Days are getting longer, temperatures are staying in the high forties, and Parisians are hopeful that we've avoided, somehow, the usual terrible winter. I'll knock on wood, though, because I wouldn't be surprised if winter suddenly arrived at the end of February and stayed through til June..

Over the next few weeks I've got lots to look forward to. This weekend I'm bringing a good friend to Dublin with me for the first time. It's always fun to show people around somewhere you love, and I'm hoping that she'll enjoy discovering somewhere so very special to me. One of my closest friends from home will be arriving for a long stint in Europe in the beginning of March, and I can't wait to have a little piece of my heart come a little bit closer to me. Very special visitors, among them my parents,  and exciting travel plans mean that March will fly by, and I have a good feeling that warm weather won't be far behind (I'll knock on wood again, just to be sure).

These days are busy, and they're uncertain, but  they're certainly optimistic. I've still got lots of things to figure out but at least I'm enjoying the process.. Most of the time.

I'll leave it at that for today, as I have some frustrating red tape issues to clear up and some potato leek soup to get started... but do watch this space. I'm resolved to be back soon! (In the meantime, you can see what I've been up to via instagram here.) A très bientôt xo

1 Comment

Discussion

D said...

Welcome back, you've been missed in this space. I love the new look and the new plans. See you very soon. Muah xx